Tuesday, January 27, 2009

soup's on

This isn't soupcycle, technically, but I am making soup right now. I guess it could be considered testing a potential soupcycle recipe, but we'll see. Its still cooking and smells amazing.
I wanted to try & duplicate Pacific Soup's Cashew Carrot Ginger, which I love.

I found the following recipe, which adds curry too:

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2007/11/carrot-cashew-curry-coconut-soup.html
INGREDIENTS
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, grated
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste

METHOD:
1. Heat oil in a stockpot and saute onion, celery, garlic and ginger for 15 mins, until onions are golden brown. Add in spices and cashews and cook for another minute.
2. Add carrots and mix thoroughly. Add stock and bring to bubbling. Lower heat, cover, and cook until carrots are soft. Really, the longer you can cook this the better--it lets the flavours develop.
3. Blend with a hand blender until smooth. Stir in coconut milk and heat (but don't boil). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.

The only thing is that I am not measuring ingredients, I'm making it extra spicy, and I am using roasted, salted cashews instead of raw. I probably won't add any salt in the end.

If you happen (or are lucky enough) to be around in me in the next couple of days - I'm sure you'll get some too. much love, shelly

1 comment: